Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The KIwi Vine Mystery is solved

The reason the vines produced poorly last year has become evident.. As you know, kiwi vines most commonly need to be planted male and female so as to ensure fertilization of the female flowers. Although I should point out that there is at least one cultivar that is self fertile and will grow here. Well I went out to cut the vines back and see about maybe trying to propagate them and found that while the female vines are going crazy with long luxuriant growth, the male one has very little and I didn't see any flowers although they could be hidden up in the canopy. I guess this is the part where you ask "how do you tell the difference between the male and female vines and flowers?" Most vines purchased from a nursery will be marked. If not you'll have to wait until flowering. The female flowers are white with yellow centres and have white centre filaments that protrude. The male flowers look the same but without the white filaments in the middle. They look like a normal flower with white petals and a yellow centre. So that explains a lot. Maybe it's time for a new male vine. I'm still going to root some cuttings and I can pick up a new male vine at the nursery if I cannot get one rooted here. I am going to get some more rooting hormone as mine is currently AWOL. It's one of those things I know I packed but now I need it I cannot find it. It will also help my grape vine cuttings develop callus quicker. Callus is the white part that forms on cut pieces and sometimes along the sides. It is from the callus that the roots develop. Grape vines need a certain temp for callus to form but once it's formed the roots will develop in cooler temperatures. More on this later.

My friend Linda and her 2 boys are on their way here today. They're staying until next Tuesday and it'll be really great to see her again. It's been 4 years nearly. I think. My brain is a little fuzzy this morning. Right now she's in Kelowna and heading this way so we should see them this evening. I should get going and sweep and then tackle the kids room. And the laundry. Wish me luck! Steve and Chris are helping Dad and Janet move into their new place today so they are gone until this evening also and Annie and Autumn are coming over as well. It's going to be a house full!

No comments: